Subject : English
Date : 25 June 2009
Time : 9.15 am – 10.15 am
Year : 4 Bestari
No. of Pupils : 35/35
Level : Average to Low
Theme : World of Knowledge
Topic : Healthy Food
Curriculum Specification (CS) :
3.3 Read and understand phrases, sentences, paragraphs and whole texts.
3.3.3 Read and understand simple paragraphs
3.9 Read and enjoy simple poems and stories and respond to them by talking about the people, and moral values in the story/poem and relate it to one’s life.
3.9.1 Read simple poems and simple stories.
2.4 Tell stories based on pictures and other stimuli, and recite poems.
2.4.1 Recite simple poems and jazz chants by compleing phrases.
Focused skill :
Integrated skill : Speaking
Language input : Adjective (Salthy, Sweet, Oilly)
Integrated Subject : Science
Previous Knowledge : Pupils have learnt about poem.
Teaching Aids : Laptop, LCD, Video of “Taekwondo Kids Demo”, worksheet, food pyramid picture, food and illness pictures.
Learning Outcomes : By the end of the lesson, pupils will be able to ;
I. State 3 words to describes food (sweet, oily and salty)
II. Read aloud the text of “Healthy eating habit” and answer the question given.
III. Complete the poem of “Food!Food!Delicious food!” and recite the poem.
IV. Name the level of Food Pyramid.
Educational Emphases :
i) Moral values : Love healthy life.
ii) Thinking skills : Relating, Solving problems
iii) Multiple intelligence : Cooperation
Stage / Time
Topic / Content
Teacher’s and Pupils’ Activities
(± 5 mins)
Watch a video of
“Taekwondo Kids Demo”
1. Teacher asks whether pupils have involved in any sports or martial arts in the school and why.
2. Pupils answer the question.
3. Teacher tells that involve in sports or martial art can make us healthy.
4. Teacher show a video of “Taekwondo Kids Demo”
5. Pupils watch the video.
6. Teacher tells that healthy life comes from the habit of eating healthy foods.
7. Teacher introduced the topic “Healthy Food”.
To create interest and curiosity towards the lesson and draw pupils attention.
To relate the pupils to their experiences.
TA : LCD, Laptop
Video of “Taekwondo Kids Demo”
CCTS : Relating
Moral value :
Love healthy life
(± 10 mins)
Describe the taste of the foods and shows a Food Pyramid
1. Teacher shows pictures of food and asks pupils to describe the taste.
2. Pupils describe the pictures.
3. Teacher asks pupils the consequence of eating too much sweet food, oily food and salty food.
4. Pupils answer the question.
5. Teacher shows the pictures of illness by eating unhealthy foods.
6. Teacher introduces a picture of Pyramid Food to pupils.
7. Teacher explains the foods that we have to take a lot and the food that we have to control in taking it.
To enable the pupils to think of words to describes food and know the healthy food and unhealthy food.
TA : Pictures of the food, food pyramid
While Reading (± 23 mins)
Read the text and answer the comprehension questions.
1. Teacher distributes text to pupils entitled “Healthy Eating Habits”
2. Teacher asks pupils to read silently.
3. Pupils read aloud the text after the teacher.
4. Teacher asks pupils to read silently and answer the questions in pairs.
5. Teacher asks pupils to read their answers.
6. Teacher discusses the answers and pupils make corrections.
To make student read and pronouce the words correctly.
To enable pupils to understand the text by answering the questions.
TA : worksheet
CCTS : Solving problem.
Moral Value :
Complete and recite the poem.
1. Teacher asks pupils to work in group of four.
2. Teacher distributes worksheet of incomplete poem.
3. Teacher instructs pupils to complete the poem and prepare to recite the poem in front of the class.
4. Pupils sit in group and complete the task.
5. Teacher discusses answer and displays it on slide.
6. Teacher asks each group to read aloud the poem together.
7. Teacher rewards each group with marks.
To enable student to name the foods and recite poem.
TA : worksheet
Moral Value :
(± 5 min)
Label the incomplete Food Pyramid.
1. Teacher shows a slide of incomplete pyramid of food using power point presentation.
2. Teacher asks pupils to complete the pyramid of food.
3. Teacher summarizes the healthy eating habit.
To end lesson with some excitement.
TA : picture of Food pyramid